So, you’ve been in a car accident with another driver on the road?

This checklist will be able to guide you through what to do next.

  1. Record the other driver’s:
    – License number; and
    – Registration plate details; and
    – Contact details.
  2. Report the accident to the Police as soon as possible and record:
    – The time and date of your report; and
    – The Police Station you attended or rang; and
    – The Police Officer you spoke to; and
    – The event number of the accident.
  3. Attend your doctor for initial diagnosis and treatment. It is very important that your treating doctor takes a history from the outset of all the parts of your body that have been injured, including any stress or mental strain that you have experienced.
  4. Ask your doctor for a medical certificate showing your fitness.
  5. Notify the CTP insurer of the vehicle you believe is most at fault.
  6. Make a claim for personal injury using the Application for Personal Injury Benefits
Important information you should know
  • You must report the accident to the Police within 28 days after the accident.
  • If you want to be paid back lost earnings from the date of the accident, you must lodge your claim within 28 days after the accident.
  • If you do not know the registration number of the vehicle at fault, find out by asking the Police, talking to witnesses or putting an ad in the newspapers asking witnesses to contact you. This is called due enquiry and search and is your responsibility as the person making the claim.
  • Not sure who the at-fault driver’s insurer is? Enter your details and what you know about the accident into CTP Connect.
Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top